Making Thackray Medical Museum fit for the 21st century
Our £4m project, A Healthy Future will transform the museum experience for current and new audiences, as we become a venue for creativity and cultural activity focussed on medicine, history and health. We will be better able to provide high quality public access and an engaging programme, and to collaborate with cultural, community, academic and industry partners.
The project will:
- Create innovative and engaging visitor experiences to excite, entertain and educate people with the history of medicine and its contemporary and future practice;
- Engage people through contemporary stories and issues, using our collection objects, and opportunities to talk to medical practitioners;
- Provide more opportunities for medical professionals to support hands-on learning activities, visitor participation and debate;
- Offer learning for everybody by providing a safe and trusted space to explore and understand the history and science of medicine;
- Improve our exhibition conditions so that we can display special objects borrowed from other major collections;
- Transform our entrance hall to create a more welcoming, more accessible experience;
- Secure the fabric of our historic, Grade 2 listed building, which provides a home for our important collection;
- Reveal more of the building’s original architecture to enable people to understand the building and its former uses;
- Make the museum sustainable for the future.
We are currently fundraising to secure the final £300,000 needed to start the work in 2019 by building the museum out of 150,000 LEGO® bricks. For a donation of £1, you can place a brick into our scaled down model of the building, which will be an impressive 3m long and 1m wide. Find out more about Thackray in LEGO Bricks.
We are delighted to have support confirmed from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Wellcome Trust, Thackray Medical Research Trust, Arts Council England, Foyle Foundation and Scurrah Wainwright Charity towards making this transformation a reality.
By supporting Thackray Medical Museum today, you can help us continue to offer enjoyment to thousands of visitors from across Yorkshire, and further afield, every year for many years to come.